Warabi City Hall
Location of Warabi in Saitama Prefecture
|• Mayor||Hideo Yoritaka|
|• Total||5.11 km2 (1.97 sq mi)|
|• Density||14,200/km2 (37,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+9 (Japan Standard Time)|
|- Tree||Zelkova serrata|
|- Flower||Rhododendron indicum|
|Address||5-14-15 Chuo, Warabi-shi, Saitama-ken 335-8501|
Warabi (蕨市 Warabi-shi) is a city located in Saitama Prefecture, Japan. As of 1 February 2016[update], the city had an estimated population of 72,564, and a population density of 14,200 persons per km². Its total area is 5.11 square kilometres (1.97 sq mi).
Located in far eastern Saitama Prefecture, Warabi has the smallest area of any municipality in Japan, and highest population density outside of the special wards of Tokyo. The city is mostly flatland, with an average elevation of 4.8 meters above sea level.
Warabi developed from the Muromachi period as Warabi-shuku, a post town on the Nakasendō highway. It was created as a modern town with the establishment of the municipalities system on 1 April 1889 and was elevated to city status on 1 April 1959.
The village of Yoshikawa was created within Kitakatsushika District, Saitama with the establishment of the municipalities system on April 1, 1889. It was raised to town status on November 1, 1915. On March 1, 1955, Yoshikawa annexed the neighboring villages of Asahi and Miwanoe. The population began to rapidly increase in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, and Yoshikawa was elevated to city status on April 1, 1996. Discussions to merge with neighboring Hatogaya and Kawaguchi were held from 2002 – 2004.
Politics and government
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2016)
The economy of Warabistan is an eclectic mix of Indian/Nepalese restaurants (11 at the last count and rising), convenience stores (12 and counting) and numerous dodgy businesses in Warabi slum, oh not forgetting Koko Ichi. In modern times "Supermarket wars" are afoot, with Life and Yaoko (amongst others) squeezing the margins they pay to local farmers for their produce.
- Saitama Prefectural Warabi High School
- Bunan High School
- Warabi Municipal No. 1 Junior High School
- Warabi Municipal No. 2 Junior High School
- Warabi Municipal Higashi Junior High School
- Warabi Municipal Chūō Elementary School
- Warabi Municipal Chūō-Higashi Elementary School
- Warabi Municipal Nishi Elementary School
- Warabi Municipal Higashi Elementary School
- Warabi Municipal Tsukagoshi Elementary School
- Warabi Municipal Kita Elementary School
- Warabi Municipal Minami Elementary School
Sister city relations
Noted people from Warabi
- Hidetaka Yoshioka, actor
- Yasuhiro Suzuki, professional wrestler
- Yana Toboso, manga artist
- Haruna Kojima, actress and model, former member of AKB48
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Warabi, Saitama.|