West Hall, Kew
|West Hall, Kew|
|Location||West Hall Road, Kew, Richmond TW9 4EE, in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames|
|Official name||West Hall|
|Designated||25 October 1951|
West Hall at West Hall Road, Kew, in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, is a Grade II listed building dating from the end of the 17th century. It is Kew's only surviving 17th-century building apart from Kew Palace.
By the end of the 15th century, West Hall estate had become part of the new manor of East Sheen and West Hall.
The late 17th-century house was probably built by the lord of the manor, Thomas Juxon, who lived in East Sheen, as a house to let. A second substantial house to let, Brick Farm, was built just to the west. This later became the home of Sir William Hooker, the first Director of Kew Gardens, who rented the house and renamed it West Park. The estates of both houses were let out for grazing and market gardening.
West Hall in popular culture
- Historic England. "West Hall (1253185)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- Blomfield 1994, p.18
- Gascoigne, Bamber; et al. (2001). "Kew – West Hall". HistoryWorld's Places in History. HistoryWorld. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- Cherry, Bridget and Pevsner, Nikolaus (1983). The Buildings of England – London 2: South. London: Penguin Books. p. 514. ISBN 0-14-0710-47-7.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Blomfield 1994, p.19
- Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (1813). Transactions of the Society of Arts, Volume 31. London: R Wilks, Chancery Lane. p. 22.
- Blomfield 1994, p.62
- McGhie, Caroline (1 May 2007). "From ashes of a dream, a home rises again". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- Blomfield 1994, p.130