West Kensington tube station
|Local authority||London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|1878||Started "Super Outer Circle" (Midland)|
|1880||Ended "Super Outer Circle"|
|14 July 1965||Goods yard closed|
|London transport portal|
The station is situated in a cutting with the ticket office at street level.
The station was opened by the District Railway (DR, now the District line) on 9 September 1874 as 'North End (Fulham)'  when it opened its extension from Earl's Court to Hammersmith. At that time the next station west was Hammersmith - Barons Court did not open until 1905. It was renamed West Kensington in 1877.
On 5 May 1878 The Midland Railway began running a circuitous service known as the "Super Outer Circle" from St Pancras to Earl's Court via Cricklewood and South Acton. It operated over a now disused connection between the NLR and the London and South Western Railway's branch to Richmond (now part of the District line). The service was not a success and was ended on 30 September 1880.
In 2009, because of financial constraints, TfL decided to stop work on a project to provide step-free access at West Kensington and five other stations, on the grounds that these are relatively quiet stations and some are already one or two stops away from an existing step-free station. Earl's Court and Hammersmith stations which have step-free access are respectively one stop to the east and two stops to the west. £5.05 million was spent on West Kensington before the project was halted.
The off-peak service pattern is:
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLSX). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. January 2018. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- Hardy, Brian, ed. (March 2011). "How it used to be - freight on The Underground 50 years ago". Underground News. London Underground Railway Society (591): 175–183. ISSN 0306-8617.
- Forgotten Stations of Greater London
- Chronology of London Railways by H.V.Borley
- "Disability and Deaf Equality Scheme (DES) 2009-2012". TfL. Retrieved 1 December 2010.
- "TfL wastes £64million abandoning disabled access plans on the Tube". Evening Standard. 21 April 2010. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Kensington tube station.|
- London Transport Museum Photographic Archive
- Tube Professional's Rumour Network - Lillie Bridge depot
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
towards St Pancras