Western Peripheral Expressway
|Western Peripheral Expressway|
Western Peripheral Expressway in red
|Maintained by National Highways Authority of India|
|Length||135.6 km (84.3 mi)|
|Major cities||Sonipat, Kharkhoda, Bahadurgarh, Badli, Jhajjar, Manesar, Nuh, Sohna, Hathin, Palwal|
The Western Peripheral Expressway or Kundli-Manesar–Palwal (KMP) Expressway, is an operational 6-lane (3 lanes in each direction), 135.6 km (84.3 mi)-long Expressway in the Haryana state of India. Along with the Eastern Peripheral Expressway, the Western Peripheral Expressway is expected to divert more than 50,000 heavy vehicles away from Delhi, which will help to maintain good air quality in Delhi. Western Peripheral Expressway along with Eastern Peripheral Expressway completes the largest Ring Road around Delhi. Each of the 10 entries and exits are tolled. Toll rate notified in december 2018 is INR1.35 per km for cars, INR2.18 per km for light motor vehicles, INR4.98 per km for trucks and buses, and two wheelers are not permitted on the expressway.
Two kilometer belt on either side of this expressway has been notified as controlled zone where five new contiguous greenfield cities will be developed as part of Delhi-Sonipat-Rohtak-Gurugram-Faridabad agglomeration. Delhi Metro Phase-V entails a proposed new metro route along this expressway.
The 53-km Manesar to Palwal section was inaugurated by Nitin Gadkari in April 2016. The remaining 83-km-long Kundli to Manesar section of KMP expressway was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 19 November 2018. Toll plazas became operational on KMP Expressway in December 2018.
In 2003, the Western Peripheral Expressway was first proposed along with the Eastern Peripheral Expressway as a Build Operate Transfer (BOT) project to construct a 135.6 km, access controlled four lane expressway from NH 1 near Kundli Sonipat to NH 2 Palwal near Faridabad. Since Delhi would benefit from rerouting the vehicular away from it, Delhi state agreed to bear half of the land acquisition cost of the expressway. In 2006, the Haryana government began work on Western Peripheral Expressway project, when the tender was awarded to KMP Expressways ltd. with commercial operations supposed to begin in June 2009, which was revised to May 2013. In 2016, repeated delays forced the Government of Haryana to terminate the contract and pay KMP Expressways and lenders ₹1,300 crore (equivalent to ₹15 billion or US$210 million in 2018) as termination payment. In January 2016, after intervention of the Supreme Court of India, the project was revived and new bids were invited, and the plan was upgrade from four lanes to six lanes. The whole completed expressway became operational in November 2018.
Route and Interchanges
- 4 railway overbridges,
- 10 overpasses and underpasses at crossings on the national highways and state highways,
- 7 overpasses, 9 underpasses and 27 underpasses at crossings on major district roads and village roads,
- 33 agricultural vehicular underpasses, 31 cattle crossing passages, 61 pedestrian crossing passages.
Interchanges from north to south are:
|Location||Highway||Route||Type of Road Interchange||Corresponding Multimodel Passenger Interchange|
|Kundli||NH 44||Delhi-Panipat-Ambala GT-Road||Cloverleaf||Kundli MMTS|
|Kharkhoda||NH18||Delhi-Bawana-Kharkhoda-Rohtak||T-Roundabout interchange & flyover|
|Bahadurgarh||NH 9||Delhi-Rohtak-Hisar-Sirsa||Cloverleaf||Bahadurgarh MMTS|
|Badli||SH123||Jhajjar-Badli-Gurgaon||T-Roundabout interchange & flyover|
|Farrukhnagar||NH15A||Delhi-Jhajjar||T-Roundabout interchange & flyover|
|Pachgaon||NH26||Gurugram-Pataudi-Rewari-Narnaul||T-Roundabout interchange & flyover||Panchgaon Chowk MMTS|
|Manesar||NH 48||Gurugram-Bhiwadi-Jaipur||Cloverleaf||Kherki Daula MMTS|
|Taoru||NH 919||Gurugram-Sohna-Bhiwadi-Jaipur||T-Roundabout interchange & flyover|
|Sohna||NH 248A||Gurugram-Nuh-Ferozepur Jhirka||T-Roundabout interchange & flyover|
|Palwal||NH19||Faridabad-Hodal-Mathura-Agra-Yamuna Expressway||Cloverleaf||Balramgarh MMTS|
The expressway has fuel refilling stations, 2 truck stops, 4 bus stands, 1 medical trauma centre with helipad, traffic police stations and 5 passenger multimodel transit stations (MMTS) with refreshment and recreational facilities.
The Government of Haryana envisages development of profile land uses as Knowledge City, Medi City, Fashion City, Leisure and Entertainment Cities, Cyber City and Dry-Port facility along with other similar developments, resulting in establishment of five new cities 2 km wide on either side along this express way in public-private partnership (PPP) mode. Haryana govt has notified this plan and implementation started by inviting bids for preparing the Master Plan for the first city as 50,000 hectare 'Manesar Global City.
Multimodal Transit Centres
Haryana State Industrial and Infrastructure Development Corporation is building 5 Multimodal Transit Centres (MMTC) along this expressway at Sonipat, Bahadurgarh, Gurugram and Faridabad in the following places for which the land has been already acquired (c. Dec 2018):
From north to south:
- Kundli MMTS: Located at Kundli (Sonipat): between Rajiv Gandhi Education City and under-coonstruction Delhi-Panipat RRTS station.
- Panchagaon Chowk MMTS: Located at Pachgaon Chowk in Manesar between the proposed metro station and under-construction Delhi-Alwar RRTS station, Gurugram-Manesar Metro and Jhajjar-Palwal rail line.
- Kherki Daula MMTS: Located at Kherki Daula in Gurugram near the proposed metro station, under-coonstruction Delhi-Alwar RRTS station and bus stand on the junction of Chhapra and Naihati villages.
- Balramgarh MMTS: Located at Balramgarh (Ballabhgarh) between Raja Nahar Singh metro station, bus stand and Balramgarh railway station.
- Expressways & highways in Haryana
- Delhi-Amritsar-Katra Expressway
- Delhi Mumbai Expressway
- Delhi-Jaipur Expressway
- Eastern Peripheral Expressway
- Yamuna Expressway
- Railway in Haryana
- Kumar, Ashok (9 April 2015). "Work on KMP Expressway to start soon". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- WPE opens in November 2018, Times of India, November 2018.
- "Delhi to get new stretch of Western Peripheral Expressway, vehicular pollution to go down".
- "3 projects in Haryana to be completed soon".
- Barman, Sourav Roy (28 May 2018). "First 'Smart' highway holds out hope for a congested, choking capital". The Indian Express. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- "83km Kundli-Manesar-Palwal stretch may not be opened on Haryana Diwas". Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Roy, Sidhartha (19 November 2018). "Western Peripheral Expressway: 50,000 vehicles may go off Delhi roads". The Times f India. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- "Residents of Delhi to wait for another 3 months to get breather from heavy vehicles, subsequent air pollution".
- "PM Modi to inaugurate Western Peripheral Expressway: All you need to know".
- "Ring around Delhi: Final piece to fall in place as Western Peripheral Expressway opens today".
- Toll booths to open at all KMP entries, exits, December 2018.
- "After 9-yr delay, KMP eway to be completed by August".
- "Kundli-manesar stretch of western peripheral e-way ready before time".
- "Gurgaon: Kundli-Manesar expressway inauguration today". Retrieved 5 November 2018.
- "7 toll plazas begin operations on KMP e-way, 200 marshals deployed to manage traffic".
- "KMP Expressways achieves financial closure of BOT project". Money Control. 9 January 2007. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 9 January 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Nangia, Tarun (14 July 2013). "Rough road ahead". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "Western Peripheral Expressway likely to open next month".
- Nair, Vishwanath (5 April 2013). "Lenders ask developer to give up". Financial Express. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- Rao, Hitender (1 December 2014). "BJP govt in dilemma over KMP E-way project". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- Dash, Dipak K (23 January 2015). "Haryana asks Centre to take over incomplete expressway". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- Bhatnagar, Gaurav Vivek (24 February 2015). "KMP Expressway put on fast track". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- Dash, Deepak K (9 April 2015). "Finally, work on bypass e-ways begins". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "KMP e-way to partially open in March". The Indian Express. 22 December 2010. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
- "Chaos, theft, accident: All is not well with Delhi's 'smart' eastern expressway".
- "KMP to miss August deadline too, could take 3 more months".
- Five new cities in Haryana along KMP expressway
- "Haryana govt to set up multi modal transit centres". Outlook. 11 January 2018. Retrieved 5 June 2018.