- To submit a complaint, please go to the #Procedure section.
The Arbitration Committee investigates complaints about the misuse or abuse of the advanced permissions CheckUser and Oversight (suppression). To file a complaint, please e-mail the mailing list on the address specified below.
The Arbitration Committee established its Audit Subcommittee in 2009 to investigate complaints concerning the use of CheckUser and Oversight privileges on the English Wikipedia, to scrutinise the use on the English Wikipedia of CheckUser and Oversight (suppression) functions, and to ensure the tools are used in accordance with the applicable policies. These complaints are now addressed by the Arbitration Committee.
Oversight (or suppression) is a procedure by which revisions and log entries are removed from view by all users except oversighters (including administrators). The oversight privilege is governed by the WMF's oversight policy and the English Wikipedia's own Oversight policy, and is typically used to remove: copyright violations by request of the Foundation's General Counsel; violations of the privacy of an editor or another person; self-disclosures by apparent minors; and material that is potentially libelous. Unlike simple deletion and revision deletion (performed by any administrator), suppression hides material from view by almost every user. The committee is only concerned with the use of suppression on the English Wikipedia (see list of oversighters).
To submit a complaint or query to the Arbitration Committee, please send an e-mail (arbcom-enwikimedia.org)
- Your e-mail must:
- Concisely describe the situation that you wish to complain about;
- Include links to relevant evidence or material; and
- Use a descriptive subject.
- Your e-mail will be held "in moderation" by our anti-spam mailing list software.
- The software will immediately send an automated response to your message, to let you know it has been received into the system. This does not mean it has been received by the actual committee.
- Please write to us again if you do not receive a hand-written acknowledgement from a member of the committee (rather than a boilerplate bounce from the software) within two days.
- If you wish your identity to not be disclosed to the functionary or functionaries involved in the complaint, please remember to also state this clearly in your e-mail.
Reports of those investigations that were publicly reported, and anonymised summaries of all the subcommittee's cases from before the Audit Subcommittee was disbanded in 2016, are retained at Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee/Audit Subcommittee/Reports.
Statistical reports on Checkuser and Oversight are maintained at Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee/Audit/Statistics.
The Wikimedia Foundation's Board of Trustees maintains an Ombudsman commission to investigate the misuse of checkuser and oversight on all its projects. The ombudsman is a separate body from the Arbitration Committee.