Wikipedia:WikiProject Interlanguage Links
|This WikiProject is defunct.|
Consider looking for related projects to help.
If you feel this defunct project may be worth reviving, please discuss with related projects first. See the WikiProject Guide for advice on reviving an inactive WikiProject. Feel free to change this tag if the parameters were changed in error.
This project is defunct; automated tools running on the toolserver can do a better job more quickly and efficiently.
This project's aim is to increase the number and quality of interlanguage links in Wikipedia articles. Interlanguage links are links from an article in one Wikipedia language to the same subject in another Wikipedia language - for example potato in the English-language wikipedia and pomme de terre in the French-language version.
Planned activities include:
- Locating and removing invalid interlanguage links
- Adding new interlanguage links between relevant articles
- Identifying articles in particular need of interlanguage links
Created August 2007, has active tasks.
Generate lists of suggestions for interlanguage links, explore new methods of doing same and to boldly go where pas de hombre has gone before.
- Existing interlanguages links that possibly should not be:
- Interlanguage links from redirect pages
- Interlanguage links to pages that do not exist (A:X links to B:X which does not exist) ("bad target")
- Interlanguage links to redirect pages (A:X links to B:X, but B:X redirects to B:Y)
- Interlanguage links that possibly should exist:
- Interlanguage links that are possibly incorrect
- Inconsistent interlanguage links (A:X links to B:X, but B:X links to A:Y)
- Pages that link more than once to the same language (A:X links to B:X and B:Y)
- Pages that are linked to from multiple page in a given language (Both A:X and A:Y link to B:X)
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Echo
- de:Benutzer:Flacus/Wikipedia Interwiki-Link-Checker/en
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Database analysis
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Interlanguage Links/Ideas from the Hebrew Wikipedia
Add yourself to the list below if you'd like to help out.
- Rigadoun (talk) 20:52, 30 October 2007 (UTC)
- Dr. Breznjev
- Amir E. Aharoni
- Kostisl (talk) 18:41, 21 July 2008 (UTC)
- Atlantima (talk) 17:11, 29 November 2008 (UTC)
- mokra (talk) 14:03, 24 may 2013 (utc)
Scripts and tools
- The script used to generate lists of suggested interlanguage links
- Tool to find articles with same name but without interwikis
- Tool to find pages without interwiki in particular category
General strategy and discussion forums
The average number of interlanguage links per page per given wikipedia language varies greatly. Far and away the 'worst' is the English-language version, partly because there are many pages in it for which no article exists in another language, but also because those for whom a variant of English is their native tongue often only speak that language.