William H. Allen (architect)
He and Richard Williams' Beaux Arts architecture design for the New Haven County Courthouse won a design competition over submissions from several well-known architects. The building, erected in 1914, prominently faces the New Haven Green.  
Several of his works are individually listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). Many others are contributing buildings in New Haven's NRHP-listed Whitney Avenue Historic District and other historic districts.
Works include (with attribution):
- Fyler-Hotchkiss Estate, 192 Main St. Torrington, CT (Allen,William H.), NRHP-listed
- New Haven County Courthouse, 121 Elm St. New Haven, CT (Allen and Williams), NRHP-listed
- New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad general office building, permitted 1892, "a marvelous edifice", demolished
- Plymouth Congregational Church, 1469 Chapel St. New Haven, CT (Allen,William H.), NRHP-listed
- Randall Beach (June 4, 2011). "Meet New Haven's greatest unknown architect".
- Heather L. McGrath and William G. Foulks (July 9, 2002). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: New Haven County Courthouse (including 20 photo copies)". National Park Service. and Accompanying 13 photos, exterior and interior, from 2002
- William E. Devlin and John Herzan (February 1986). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Fyler-Hotchkiss Estate / Torrington Historical Society, Hotchkiss-Fyler House". National Park Service. and Accompanying 18 photos, exterior and interior, from 1986 and 1985
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
|This article about a United States architect or architectural firm is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|