Windsor station (California)
|Location||9001 Windsor Road, Windsor, California|
|Connections|| Sonoma County Transit|
Mendocino Transit Authority
|Structure type||At grade|
Late 2021 or early 2022 (planned)
|Original company||Northwestern Pacific Railroad|
Windsor is a bus station and future Sonoma–Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART) train station in Windsor, California. The station served Sonoma County Transit and Mendocino Transit Authority, with service to Sonoma County Airport station provided by Sonoma County Transit under contract by SMART. SMART train service is expected to begin in 2021 or 2022.
The station building was built by the Northwestern Pacific Railroad in the early 1900s. The station last served train passengers on the Northwestern Pacific Railroad in the late 1950s.
In 2008, the station building was rebuilt by the city for $1.4 million as an intermodal station in anticipation of serving passengers on the then-proposed Sonoma–Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART) commuter rail line. Service to Windsor Station was not included in the first phase of SMART, which began service as far north as the station near Charles M. Schulz–Sonoma County Airport in 2017.
Sonoma–Marin Area Rail Transit is constructing an extension to Windsor, with service further north to Healdsburg station and Cloverdale station in a future phase. The three-mile (4.8 km) extension is expected to cost $55 million: $20 million from Road Repair and Accountability Act funds, $30 million in Regional Measure 3 funds, and a $5 million federal grant. In September 2018, the SMART board approved $24 million in construction contracts, with service to Windsor expected to begin in late 2021 or early 2022.
- Moore, Derek (14 July 2017). "Sonoma County adds bus routes designed to serve SMART train users". The Press Democrat. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- Fimrite, Peter (18 April 2008). "Windsor rebuilds depot sans train". Hears Communications. San Francisco Gate. Retrieved 15 June 2016.
- Moore, Derek (12 April 2016). "SMART seeking funding to extend rail line to Windsor". Sonoma Media Investments. The Press Democrat. Retrieved 15 June 2016.
- MOORE, DEREK (7 April 2017). "Sonoma County roads, bridges, public transit among uses for new California road tax". Santa Rosa Press Democrat. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- Fixler, Kevin (September 19, 2018). "SMART to begin work on extension of commuter rail to Windsor". Press Democrat.
|This article about transport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Sonoma County, California train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|