Wolverton and Stony Stratford Tramway
The Krauss steam tram
|Dates of operation||1887–1926|
|Track gauge||3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm)|
The Wolverton and Stony Stratford Tramway was a narrow gauge street tramway between Wolverton railway station, the London and North Western Railway's (LNWR) Wolverton railway works, Stony Stratford in Buckinghamshire, and (briefly) onwards via Old Stratford to Deanshanger in Northamptonshire.
The 2 miles 54 chains (2.68 mi; 4.30 km) tramway opened in 1887. A 2 miles (3.2 km)-long extension opened in 1888 to Deanshanger to the west of Stony Stratford, but the tramway company quickly ran into financial trouble and declared bankruptcy in 1889. The line was purchased by a syndicate of Bedford businessmen, which reopened the Wolverton to Stony Stratford section in 1891. The Deanshanger extension never re-opened.
One of the carriages (significantly larger than an AEC Routemaster double-decker bus) is on display at the Milton Keynes Museum on Stacey Hill (southern edge of Wolverton) with a variety of memorabilia.
Stations in and around Milton Keynes
|This England rail transport related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|