Known in the late 19th century as Irish Corners, the name of the town was changed to Woodville after the completion of the post office under postmaster John Morrison. In 1871 the Toronto and Nipissing Railway was built through the flourishing settlement and in 1878 Woodville became a police village.
Woodville had a town hall, lock-up, grist-mill, two foundries, a cheese factory, planing mill and sash and door factory, a number of dry goods stores, mechanics' shops, and three hotels. It also had its own brick school house, with two teachers, and two churches – one Presbyterian, the other Methodist. Today, the cheese factory, rail station, gristmill, mechanics shops, and hotels have all been shut down.
A two and one-half kilometres (one and a half miles) to the east of Woodville is an auction barn which was opened in 1961 by Norman MacIntyre and his family.
- Malcolm Bruce Jackson, politician
- Bruce McArthur, convicted serial killer
- Billy McGimsie, hockey hall of famer who played for the Stanley Cup-winning Kenora Thistles
- Adam Rogers, CFL player
- Tom Thornbury, NHL player
- James Barker, country musician
|This Ontario location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|