World's Fair Marina
The World's Fair Marina is a public marina in Flushing Bay, Queens, New York. It is located at the northern edge of Flushing Meadows–Corona Park and operated by the Marine Division of the Department of Parks and Recreation. The marina is situated next to a 1.4-mile (2.3 km) long stretch of promenade around Flushing Bay and is also near LaGuardia Airport and Citi Field.
The marina has over 250 slips for vessels up to 120 feet (37 m) in length, a boat and kayak launch, and a ferry landing. The ferry landing is currently used by SeaStreak, which provides service to Highlands, New Jersey for selected New York Mets games. Ferry service to baseball games began in 1989 with American Skimmer providing service between Pier 11/Wall Street and the East 34th Street Ferry Landing in Manhattan. NY Waterway later began operating a similar ferry service in 1998. A free ferry service operated by New York Water Taxi provides service between Pier 11/Wall Street and the East 34th Street Ferry Landing in Manhattan and the World's Fair Marina for the US Open, as well as before Mets games.
The history of the World's Fair Marina traces back to a boat basin that was constructed for the 1939 New York World's Fair. Robert Moses had the marina redesigned and expanded to accommodate 800 boats for the 1964 New York World's Fair, which was held in the same location. The Parks Department has run the marina since 1999. Previously, it had been run by a private concessionaire.
Parking for the marina is available in a lot next to the Grand Central Parkway. The marina's administration building constructed for the 1964 World's Fair now houses the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation Marine Division office as well as the World's Fair Marina Restaurant & Banquet Hall.
Several party and event boats operate cruises from the Worlds Fair Marina.
- "Nice Way to Shea". The New York Times. August 18, 1989. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- Pristin, Terry (March 17, 1999). "A Manhattan-to-Queens Ferry Is Planned for Mets Fans". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- Lin, Thomas (August 26, 2008). "Free Ferry to U.S. Open". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-08-30.
- "Delta Mets Baseball Taxi". New York Water Taxi. Retrieved 2011-12-19.
- "World's Fair Marina - Historical Sign". New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- World's Fair Marina Restaurant and Banquet Hall (Official Site)
- Boat Trips (New York City Department of Parks and Recreation)