A white pagoda at Xihuang Temple.
|Location||Chaoyang District, Beijing|
In 1644, Shunzhi Emperor established the Qing dynasty (1644–1911) in Beijing. In order to deal with military and political affairs, he invited the 5th Dalai Lama to Beijing in 1651. Shunzhi Emperor issued the decree building the temple as the residence for the 5th Dalai Lama.
In 1780, after the Parinirvana of the 6th Panchen Lama, Qianlong Emperor ordered to built a white pagoda to commemorate him. The construction completed in 1982, Qianlong Emperor named it "Qingjing Huacheng Pagoda" (清净化成塔).
Xihuang Temple was devastated by the combined armies of the English and French during the Second Opium War in 1860. Forty years later in 1900, the Eight-Nation Alliance ransacked Xihuang Temple during the Invasion of Beijing.
Republic of China
People's Republic of China
In 1979, Xihuang Temple was inscribed to the Beijing Municipal Cultural Preservation Pnit List. The Beijing Municipal Government refurbished and redecorated the temple in the following year.
In September 1987, the 10th Panchen Lama set up the High-Level Tibetan Buddhism College of China at the temple.
In 2001, the white pagoda was listed among the "Major National Historical and Cultural Sites in Beijing" by the State Council of China.
On May 18, 2018, the Museum of Xihuang Temple was officially opened to the public.
- Tong Xun (1997). 《佛教与北京寺庙文化》 [Buddhism and Culture of Beijing Buddhist Temples] (in Chinese). Beijing: Minzu University of China Press. ISBN 9787810560634.
- Shi Miaozhou (2009). 《蒙藏佛教史》 [History of Buddhism in Mongolia and Tibet] (in Chinese). Suzhou, Jiangsu: Guangling Publishing House. ISBN 9787806942987.