|First appearance||Marvel Super-Heroes #12 (December 1967)|
|Created by||Stan Lee|
Yon-Rogg is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. He is an alien Kree, a military commander whose weakness is his jealousy of the accomplishments of others and his love for the medic Una. He is sent to supervise the troublesome planet Earth. He is primarily a foe of Captain Marvel, specifically the Carol Danvers version, and was indirectly responsible for her transformation into Ms. Marvel.
Yon-Rogg first appeared in Marvel Super Heroes #12 and was created by Stan Lee and Gene Colan. He was introduced as a Kree commander sent to Earth to investigate how the planet's seemingly primitive inhabitants managed to destroy an advanced Kree Sentry, during this mission he also tried to kill Mar-Vell out of jealousy and. Who was in an relationship with another Kree called Una. His schemes ended in Una dying, which resulted in animosity between the two.
Yon-Rogg later attempted to defeat his nemesis by kidnapping Carol Danvers and using her as a hostage. However, he was seemingly killed when a Kree device called a Psyche-Magnitron exploded. That same explosion also awoke Carol's latent genetic potential, transforming her into a superhero called Ms. Marvel. He returned years later as Magnitron, to enact revenge on Carol, who was now named Captain Marvel. Yon-Rogg attempted to telepathically torture Carol and destroy New York City. He was defeated once again, at the cost of Carol losing her memories.
Fictional character biography
Yon-Rogg is a Kree military officer who is the commander of the Helion, a Kree spaceship that was sent to Earth by the Supreme Intelligence. Yon-Rogg had a deep hatred towards Mar-Vell due to his love for the Kree medic Una. He ends up leaving Mar-Vell on Earth so that Una can be his. Yon-Rogg later unleashes the Kree Sentry to dispose of Mar-Vell. During his fight with the Sentry, Mar-Vell learned that the Sentry attacking him was sent by Yon-Rogg. After Mar-Vell defeats the Kree Sentry, Yon-Rogg contacts Ronan the Accuser to pass judgement on Mar-Vell's actions. Ronan declines the offer stating that the mission was not jeopardized by Mar-Vell's actions.
Yon-Rogg was on his spaceship at the time when Mar-Vell was fighting Super-Skrull and hopes that Super-Skrull would kill Mar-Vell. After Mar-Vell breaks free from Super-Skrull's ship, Yon-Rogg refuses Mar-Vell's offer to return to Earth so that he can stop Super-Skrull.
Yon-Rogg later sabotages a rocket carrying deadly bacteria that was bound for space where it crashes into the ocean. When Mar-Vell arrives at the Cape, he is ordered by Yon-Rogg to prevent the humans from stopping the rocket from releasing the bacteria where Mar-Vell has his encounter with Namor.
Yon-Rogg has Mar-Vell put on trial for being "Un-Kree" by letting Namor beat him. Though Ronan the Accuser has Mar-Vell take out Mr. Logan upon him finding out his identity before a device Mar-Vell had ended up putting Mr. Logan into a coma.
During Mar-Vell's holographic training program, Yon-Rogg cranks up the setting hoping that Mar-Vell would die from the experience. Following Mar-Vell's fight with Solam, Yon-Rogg plans to put Mar-Vell on trial before Ronan the Accuser again.
Yon-Rogg then plans to kill Mar-Vell's fellow cape member Carol Danvers with Kree weapons with Mar-Vell saving her. Yon-Rogg plotted to use this to invoke jealousy in Una. After Mar-Vell had defeated Quasimodo, Yon-Rogg continues to make Una jealous of Mar-Vell and Carol's relationship.
When an Aakon spaceship approaches Earth, Yon-Rogg orders the Kree to attack the spaceship since the Kree have been age-old enemies of the Aakon race. During their fight on the moon, Yon-Rogg is injured and Mar-Vell had to kill the Aakok spaceship's leader in order to protect Yon-Rogg. While Yon-Rogg is recuperating, Mar-Vell assumes control of the Kree ship.
When Mar-Vell starts to develop a friendship with Carol Danvers, Ronan the Accuser orders Yon-Rogg to lead some Kree soldiers into executing Mar-Vell. Yon-Rogg is happy to oblige. After Una dies from her injuries upon being caught in the crossfire between the Kree and the Aakons, Zo frees Mar-Vell from the control bands that Yon-Rogg put on him, and has Mar-Vell go after Yon-Rogg for revenge upon bestowing new powers onto him. Mar-Vell uses his illusion casting to taunt Yon-Rogg into thinking that he is alive. While a supply ship is restocking the Kree ship, Mar-Vell ends having a brief fight with Yon-Rogg before returning to Earth to save Carol Danvers from Man-Slayer.
After being told by the Supreme Intelligence that Zo was actually Prime Minister Zarek in disguise as part of a plot by Ronan the Accuser to overthrow the Supreme Intelligence, Mar-Vell fends off Zarek, gains a new costume from the Supreme Intelligence, and leaves to go deal with Yon-Rogg.
Mar-Vell meets Rick Jones who tries on Mar-Vell's Nega Bands which he uses to have a brief fight with Yon-Rogg. Yon-Rogg manages to escape afterwards. Yon-Rogg begins his next plot against Mar-Vell. When Yon-Rogg captures Carol Danvers and Mar-Vell catches up to him, Yon-Rogg uses a Psyche-Magnetron to create a Kree Mandroid to help him fight Mar-Vell. During the fight, Carol Danvers is injured and the Psyche-Magnetron is damaged with some of its energies irradiating Carol Danvers. After Mar-Vell destroys the Kree Mandroid, Yon-Rogg is seemingly killed when the Psyche-Magnetron explodes. This battle led to Carol Danvers being exposed to the damaged Psyche-Magnetron's energies which would lead to her becoming Ms. Marvel.
Yon-Rogg is later revealed to have survived the Psyche-Magnitron's explosion, gaining a telepathic link with Carol Danvers' via a shard of the Magnetron that is lodged in her brain (which is also causing a brain-damaging lesion in Carol's head). After stealing the remains of the Psyche-Magnetron from Carol, Yon-Rogg tries to give it to the Kree Empire only to be turned down. He then takes the name "Magnetron" and uses Carol's memories and its power to recreate enemies from her past before attempting to drop a Kree city on top of New York City. Carol is able to destroy the telepathic link and Yon-Rogg's powers by aggravating the lesion in her head until it bursts, though at the cost of all her memories.
A flashback series shows Yon-Rogg's association with Mar-Vell and Una. The three are part of a Kree mission deep into Brood territory. Their mission is to rescue or terminate a Kree general that knows valuable military intelligence. Yon-Rogg earns the thanks of the Shi'ar ruler and the Imperial Guard when the Kree rescue them from Skrull attackers. The Kree move on and find the general. A Brood attack leaves Mar-Vell, Una and Yon-Rogg stranded for weeks; this is after Mar-Vell risks his life to save Yon-Rogg. The three are rescued by the same Shi'ar they previously saved.
Powers and abilities
Yon-Rogg has super-strength, agility, and stamina. He is also skilled in unarmed combat.
In the Ultimate Marvel universe, Yahn-Rgg is first mentioned by Mahr Vehl battling a Kree Lifeform attacking a S.H.I.E.L.D. Aerospace Station-Q in New Mexico as one of its programmers. He is later seen on the Kree homeworld insulting Mahr (alluding to a heated rivalry in the past), until knocked out by Invisible Woman.
In other media
- Yon-Rogg appears in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, voiced by Fred Tatasciore. In the episode "459", he has sent a Kree Sentry to Earth to determine if it is worthy to join the Kree Empire. After Hulk had pinned the Kree Sentry into the ground and ripped off its head, a hologram from Yon-Rogg appears as Mar-Vell pleads for Yon-Rogg to call off the Kree Sentry. Yon-Rogg refuses and sets off the Kree Sentry's self-destruct sequence. In the episode "Welcome to the Kree Empire", Yon-Rogg accompanies Mar-Vell, Ronan the Accuser, and Kalum Lo to Earth in order to get Earth to surrender to the Kree Empire. The Kree taking part in the attack on Earth are defeated by the Avengers and S.W.O.R.D. and are remanded to Prison 42.
- Yon-Rogg appears in Captain Marvel, portrayed by Jude Law. He is the leader of Starforce who leads the war against the Skrulls. While hunting down former Kree scientist Mar-Vell, who is hiding on Earth as Dr. Wendy Lawson, he encounters Carol Danvers who destroys an energy core that imbues her with powers. Yon-Rogg takes her back to Hala, gives Carol a blood transfusion with his blood to save her life, and has her memories altered to think that she is a Kree named Vers. He mentors and trains her to be the best, but during an operation she is separated from the rest of the Starforce and lands on Earth. Yon-Rogg goes after her, only to discover that Danvers has switched sides after a Skrull named Talos helped her recover her memories. Starforce captures Danvers, Talos and a group of Skrull refugees, but Danvers manages to break free of Yon-Rogg and the Supreme Intelligence's hold over her by unlocking her full potential to drive back and defeat several members of the Starforce. Yon-Rogg requests assistance from Ronan the Accuser, but his assault on Earth is thwarted by Danvers. In their final confrontation, Danvers defeats Yon-Rogg. Afterwards, she sends him back to Hala to deliver her message to the Supreme Intelligence.
- Yon-Rogg, under the alias of Magnitron, appears as an unlockable playable character in Lego Marvel's Avengers. He is available through the DLC "Classic Captain Marvel Pack". He is also featured as one of the bosses in the new level included in the DLC.
- Booth, Kaitlyn (February 25, 2019). "Behind-the-Scenes Featurette for Captain Marvel Teases the Starforce". Bleeding Cool. Archived from the original on February 26, 2019. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Schedeen, Jesse (March 7, 2019). "Captain Marvel's Yon-Rogg Explained: Who Is Jude Law's Character?". IGN. Archived from the original on May 2, 2019. Retrieved May 29, 2019.
- Marvel Super Heroes #12
- Marvel Super Heroes #13
- Captain Marvel #1
- Captain Marvel #2
- Captain Marvel #3
- Captain Marvel #4
- Captain Marvel #5
- Captain Marvel #6
- Captain Marvel #7
- Captain Marvel #8
- Captain Marvel #10
- Captain Marvel #11
- Captain Marvel #12
- Captain Marvel #13
- Captain Marvel #16
- Captain Marvel #17
- Captain Marvel #18
- Captain Marvel Volume 7, #10-#14
- "Untold Legend of Captain Marvel" #1-3 (1997)
- Ultimate Secret #1
- Ultimate Secret #3
- Earth X #0
- "Voice Of Yon-Rogg – Behind The Voice Actors". Behind The Voice Actors. Retrieved May 29, 2019. Check marks indicates role has been confirmed using screenshots of closing credits and other reliable sources
- Sciretta, Peter (January 8, 2019). "'Captain Marvel' Executive Producer Jonathan Schwartz Reveals Everything He Can About Marvel's Next Movie [Set Visit Interview] - Page 4". /Film. Archived from the original on January 14, 2019. Retrieved January 13, 2019.
- Sciretta, Peter (January 8, 2019). "'Captain Marvel' Executive Producer Jonathan Schwartz Reveals Everything He Can About Marvel's Next Movie [Set Visit Interview] - Page 5". /Film. Archived from the original on January 14, 2019. Retrieved January 13, 2019.
- Brown, Luke (5 August 2015). "Kamala Khan, Jane Foster and More Join 'Lego Marvel's Avengers' This January". Comics Alliance. Archived from the original on 20 November 2015.