Yujing District in Tainan City
|• Total||76 km2 (29 sq mi)|
|• Density||190/km2 (480/sq mi)|
After a 6.4-magnitude earthquake hit southern Taiwan in March 2010, pillars were severely damaged at Yujing Junior High School forcing school officials to cancel some classes.
Yujing is likely the site of Tevorang, a former political unit of the Taiwanese aborigines. The name has also been spelled Tefurang, Tefurangh, Tevoran, Tevourang, and Devoran. Tevorang was one of nine villages that joined in warfare against the people of Favorlang (modern-day Huwei, Yunlin).
In 1920, the name was changed from Tapani (Chinese: 噍吧哖; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Ta-pa-nî) to Tamai (Japanese: 玉井) and administratively was called Tamai Village, Shinka District (新化郡), Tainan Prefecture. During Japanese rule, Tamai produced abundant sugar.
Republic of China
After the handover of Taiwan from Japan to the Republic of China in 1945, Yujing was organized as a rural township of Tainan County. On 25 December 2010, Tainan County was merged with Tainan City and Yujing was upgraded to a district of the city. In the 1960s, with government promotion, the name "Yujing" became almost synonymous with "mangos".
The district consists of Yujing, Yutian, Zhongzheng, Zhuwei, Shatian, Sanpu, Sanhe, Wangming, Cenglin and Fengli Village.
- Ancient Battlefield with Memorial Tablet to Yu Qingfang
- Mango Industry Culture Information Hall
- Siiangjhih Park
- Yujing Beiji Temple
- Yusha Oncidium Orchid Garden
- Wang Sing-nan, legislator
- Lee, Derek (2004-12-09). "The Southern Cross-Island Highway is ideal for excursions at all times of the year. Hit the road". Taipei Times. Retrieved 2010-07-12.
- Shan, Shelley; Loa, Iok-sin (2010-03-05). "MORNING JOLT: The temblor, with a strength equivalent to two atomic bombs, disrupted train and MRT services and caused damage to some structures in the south". Taipei Times. Retrieved 2010-07-12.
- Andrade, Tonio (2005). "Chapter 3: Pax Hollandica". How Taiwan Became Chinese: Dutch, Spanish, and Han Colonization in the Seventeenth Century. Columbia University Press.
- Campbell, William (1903). "Explanatory Notes". Formosa under the Dutch: described from contemporary records, with explanatory notes and a bibliography of the island. London: Kegan Paul. OCLC 644323041.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on February 21, 2014. Retrieved February 9, 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yujing District, Tainan.|
|This article about a location in Taiwan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|