Zahrain Mohamed Hashim
Zahrain Mohamed Hashim
|Ambassador of Malaysia to Indonesia|
2013 – 30 June 2018
|Prime Minister||Najib Razak|
|Preceded by||Syed Munshe Afdzaruddin Syed Hassan|
|Succeeded by||Zainal Abidin Bakar|
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament|
for Bayan Baru
|Preceded by||Wong Kam Hoong (MCA-BN)|
|Succeeded by||Sim Tze Tzin (PKR-PR)|
|Born||12 November 1955|
Penang, Federation of Malaya (now Malaysia)
|Political party||People's Justice Party (Malaysia) (PKR) (until 2010)|
Datuk Seri Zahrain bin Mohamed Hashim (born 12 November 1955) is a Malaysian politician from the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) who served as Ambassador of Malaysia to Indonesia between 2013 to 2018. Prior to that, he was Member of Parliament (MP) of Malaysia from 2008 to 2013 representing Bayan Baru constituency in Penang, Malaysia.
Zahrain was elected to Parliament in the 2008 election as a member of the opposition People's Justice Party (PKR). As Chairman of the Penang division of PKR, he had been criticised by his Pakatan Rakyat coalition partner, the Democratic Action Party, for speaking out against Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng. In January 2010, he attacked Lim as being a "dictator, a chauvinist and communist-minded", citing what Zahrain saw as a failure by Lim to deliver on his election promises. He subsequently left PKR to sit in Parliament as an independent.
Zahrain was recalled from his posting following the Pakatan Harapan (PH) government's decision to stop the previous practice adopted by the Barisan Nasional (BN) of appointing politicians to head overseas missions.
|2008||Zahrain Mohamed Hashim (PKR)||27,618||59%||Ooi Siew Kim (MCA)||16,589||36%|
- Penang :
- "Malaysia Decides 2008". The Star (Malaysia). Retrieved 31 December 2009.
- "DAP: Zahrain behaving like 'little Umno leader'". The Star (Malaysia). Retrieved 1 January 2010.
- Habibu, Sira. "Zahrain: Lim is a dictator". The Star (Malaysia). Star Publications (Malaysia). Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- Zuhrin Azad Ahmad (5 September 2013). "Former Bayan Baru rep named Malaysian ambassador to Indonesia". The Star. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Envoys told to return to Malaysia". Royce Tan, Eddie Chua. The Star (Malaysia). 30 June 2018. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- "No more Malaysian politicians as ambassadors: Mahathir". Bernama. Channel News Asia. 21 September 2018. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- "Malaysia General Election". undiinfo Malaysian Election Data. Malaysiakini. Missing or empty
|url=(help) Results only available from the 2004 election.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 4 February 2017. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "Malaysia Decides 2008". The Star (Malaysia). Retrieved 1 January 2009.
- "SEMAKAN PENERIMA DARJAH KEBESARAN, BINTANG DAN PINGAT". Prime Minister's Department (Malaysia). Retrieved 22 March 2019.
Syed Munshe Afdzaruddin Syed Hassan
| Ambassador of Malaysia to Indonesia
Zainal Abidin Bakar
|This article about a Malaysian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|