Aaron Hunt turns down plea to play for England and pledges his future to Germany
Aaron Hunt pledged his international future to Germany after turning down a plea from his mother to make himself available for England.
The in-form Werder Bremen forward made his decision after Sportsmail revealed he was at the centre of a tug of war between England and Germany over his dual nationality.
England manager Fabio Capello had been alerted to Hunt's emergence as one the Bundesliga's most feared front runners this season and instructed under-21 coach Stuart Pearce to monitor his progress and keep him informed of developments.
Target man: Aaron Hunt
Though he had reservations over Hunt's readiness to step straight into the senior squad, Capello felt his potential and strong English links merited further investigation.
The German-born 23-year old has an English mother whose family all live in the London area and a grandfather who went to the same north-east school as Sir Bobby Charlton.
German coach: Joachim Loew
But Capello's hopes were dashed when Hunt responded to Sportsmail's account of Pearce's recent spying missions and described how he had gone against his mother's wishes.
'I feel very honoured and extremely happy that England have expressed an interest in me and even watched me play,' he said.
'But I am clear in my mind that I want to play for Germany. This is where I have grown up and played all my football, and it seems a logical decision to make.
'It hasn't gone down well with everyone. There are some members of my family who would like me to play for England, but we have talked it through and they accept my reasons.
'I just hope I get a call-up to the full squad now, after playing for the under-21s. I'll be keeping my mobile phone switched on, for sure.'
After having him watched at Nuremberg on Saturday, when he scored twice in the last 18 minutes to salvage a point and take Werder to the top of the Bundesliga, Germany coach Joachim Loew is expected to include Hunt for this month's friendlies with Chile and the Ivory Coast.
Most watched Sport videos
- Former Arsenal goalkeeper Peter Cech stars in ice hockey game
- Bulgaria's manager denies hearing any racist chanting during England game
- Gareth Southgate on racist abuse faced by England team in Bulgaria
- 'Absolutely not true': Southgate heckled by Bulgarian journalist
- Video: Kane and Mings react to England win against Bulgaria
- Bulgaria manager Krasimir Balkov denies hearing racist chants
- FA Chairman Greg Clarke on racist abuse in Bulgaria
- Andy Ruiz Jr shows off slim figure ahead of rematch with Joshua
- Bulgaria's violent 'Lauta Army' of hooligans clash with gangs
- Rugby fans react after Japan denies Scotland knockout stages spot
- Japanese rugby fans celebrate as their team advances in World Cup
- Derby County's Mason Bennett and Tom Lawrence arrive at court