Bibliography and CreditsBibliography of Principal Reference Works Consulted in the Preparation of this Outline of American History
Of the many inquiries that are received by the United States Information Service, a large proportion are concerned with American history. This booklet is an attempt to supply some Of the answers in a concise and convenient form and to trace some of the major currents of thought and development in the nation's growth. This is in no sense a definitive history of the United States; each of the periods here treated within the space of a few pages has been the subject of exhaustive research and scholarship. The reader will find listed on this page a few of the many authoritative works available for the thorough study of American history. It is hoped that this booklet will serve as a useful introduction to the subject and that it will thereby add to the store of shared knowledge and mutual understanding between those who read it and the people of the United States.
- Bassett, John Spencer, A Short History of the United States, The Macmillan Co., 1927
- Beard, Charles A. and Mary R., The Rise of American Civilization, The Macmillan Co., 1939
- Curti, Merle, The Growth of American Thought, Harper and Brothers, 1943
- Hamm, William A. , The American People, D. C. Heath and Co., 1939
- Hicks, John D. , The American Nation, Houghton Mifflin Co., 1941
- Hockett, Homer C., Political and Social History of the United States (1492-1828). The Macmillan Co., 1925
- Morison, Samuel Eliot and Commager, Henry Steele, The Growth of the American Republic (1000-1865), Oxford University Press, 1942
- The Growth of the American Republic (1865-1942). Oxford University Press, 1942
- Muzzey, David, The United States of America-From the Civil War, Ginn and Co, 1924
- Nettels, Curtis Putnam, Roots of American Civilization, Crofts, 1938
- Nevins, Allan, A Brief History of the United States, Oxford University Press, 1942
- Nevins, Allan, Ordeal of the Union, Charles Scribner's Sons, 1947
- Nevins, Allan and Commager, Henry Steele, A Short History of the United States, Random House, 1943
- Schlesinger,Arthur Meier, Political and Social Growth of the United States, 1852-1933, The Macmillan Co., 1939
- Wright, Louis B., The Atlantic Frontier, Alfred A. Knopf, 1947
- , Encyclopedia Americana, 1948 edition, Americana Company, New York and Chicago
- , The New International Year Book, 1946, Funk and Wagnalls Co., New York and London
This booklet prepared by Frances Friedman, Magazine Branch, International Press and Publications Divisions, 011, U.S. Department of State. Consultants: Dr. Wood Gray, Professor of American History, George Washington University, Washington, D. C.; Dr. Richard Hofstadter, Assistant Professor of History, Columbia University, New York.
Illustrations, courtesy of: Wadsworth Athaeneum; New York Historical Society; Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts; Ketterlinus Lithographic Manufacturing Company; Yale University Art Gallery; New York Public Library; Department of Public Buildings, Boston, Massachusetts; Historical Society of Pennsylvania; International Harvester Export Company; State House, Sacramento, California; Tennessee Valley Authority; Department of the Army; Department of the Navy; Department of the Treasury.